A Nice Walk In Goerge Town

George Town or Georgetown has been on my bucket list since I heard only a little about it. Located around 360 km from Kuala Lumpur, I knew since the beginning that Georgetown will never disappoint me. A creative and artistic city I've ever visited. Vintage building, street art, cool cafe, and warm society. Every corner of the city mesmerized me.



Yeah, I've visited Georgetown on my last holiday with my one of the best mate, Maura. Unfortunately, we were there only for a day...even only less than 24 hours:( It was because we only had five days and we planned to visit three places at once. Kuala Lumpur, Penang, and Langkawi. Well, I should not tell you about Kuala Lumpur anymore because I've told you all the story about it more than once. But I have to tell you the reason why I visited Kuala Lumpur more. There is always a promo flight from Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur. Even, it's cheaper than a domestic flight lol.




But it was okay! Like I said before, Georgetown will never disappoint me. A "less than 24 hours" in there was good. We only reached attractive places near our guest house. Penang Street Art, Little India, Kapitan Keling Mosque and Chulia Night Hawker Stall are amazing. In spite of we only walked around the city by foot, but it was a nice little walk in Georgetown. 

The Street and Lorong
Yeah, it was all about cute buildings and artistic corner! Fyi I wear two different clothes in these photos because I took these photos in two days, in the evening and tomorrow morning before we off to the next destination. 













Masjid Kapitan Keling
The mosque is one of the historical mosques in Penang build by Indian Muslim traders. The mosque was great! So don't forget to stop here and shalat :) 



Chulia Night Hawker Stall 
This night street food market is one of some night street food markets in Georgetown. The reason why we decided to choose this one was it was the nearest night street food market from our guest house. Actually, the food market wasn't so crowded, but there were many food stalls along the street so it was ok. Unfortunately, we've browsed what special foods and cuisines in Penang but sadly we only found a few and we couldn't eat them because it wasn't halal. Fyi for Muslims, be careful when you choose the food you wanna buy because mostly they sell no-halal foods. So we were Indonesia tourist who ate Shawarma, a Turkish cuisine in Malaysia lol.  





Street Art
Well, I may say that street art is the icon of Georgetown. Before we go there, the only thing we found in our first Georgetown research on internet was street art! While walking around the town, we accidentally found a few street arts. Well, we promise our self to go back here to find overall street art in Georgetown.








Say hi to my friend!

Although we only had a little time in Georgetown, i have some tips to share for you all.

How we get there:
From Kuala Lumpur:  I went to Georgetown from Kuala Lumpur by bus. Actually, there are two ways if you wanna get there by bus. The first way is you can take a bus from Bersepadu Selatan Bus Terminal (TBS) and go to Penang Sentral Bus Terminal in Butterworth, located on the mainland (not a separated land from Kuala Lumpur and other cities in Malaysia). The price is around 28 - 40 RM. It depends on time and the bus class. After that, you can take a ferry from the ferry port near Penang Sentral Bus Terminal. You can reach the port on foot. The ferry prices are around 1.2 RM for adult and 0.6 RM for children. If you take this way, you will directly arrive in Georgetown.
The second way is the way I took. From Bersepadu Selatan Bus Terminal (TBS), we go to Sungai Nibong Bus Terminal in Penang Island by bus. So you don't have to take a ferry to cross the sea because the bus passes the Penang Bridge to cross the sea. The bus price is around  37-45RM. It's more expensive than the first way I explained because you don't have to take a ferry to arrive in Penang Island. After that, you can take a Rapid Penang Bus to Georgetown. If you are in hurry (like I was lol) you can get a Grab Car to Georgetown. The price for Rapid Penang Bus is around 2-4 RM depends on where you stop. If you want to go to Goerge Town, you can stop in a few places. It depends on your specific destination in Georgetown. 

Where we stay:
I didn’t really know about the region in Georgetown so I booked a guest house which cheapest (we were student and didn’t have much money lol) and looked convincing and interesting. Voila! We were we were amazed by the house. The reasons are: First, the guest house was good and we were lucky to choose the guest house or you can say "not zonk" in Bahasa Indonesia lol. Second, it was near to the attractive places in Georgetown like I mentioned before: Penang Street Art, Little India, Kapitan Keling Mosque and Chulia Night Hawker Stall. The last reason is the house was so good, clean, interesting and artistic. It was so comforting because we felt like we were in our own home. The price was around 50 RM for a night.






Comments

Instagram Post