When Childhood Friends Become Travel Mates to Malaysia

Who's your childhood friends? Are they your boyfriend or girlfriend now? My childhood friends are still being my best gossip girl buddies. Even we're twenties, we're keep looking for timeless moment, no matter how small it is. We begin our first abroad travel by dreaming. I mean, i slept and i dreamt about our travel to Malaysia (Why Malaysia? I'll tell you after this). I told to all friends what i dream is then they all agreed to make my dream 'come true'. Well, why did i dream about Malaysia? Because one of my childhood friend, Nana, is studying there, so we planned to catch up on her there. Then we prepared for the 5 days 4 nights trip. Here are the stories of our last trip.
(btw sorry for the late post, the trip actually was in January and now is already March .It's better to be late than never, right? :p)






FIRST DAY
Yeay! I went there with my friend, Hani (if you ask where my other friends and I'd answer that my others childhood or neighbors caught up the next day), and we were feeling well much when we arrived in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. We arrived at about 11 pm, so we decided to sleep in air port. Well, it was my first experience to sleep in air port and I felt bad at first but then I felt gradually comfy (I'm sorry I was too tacky lol). We slept there because we planned to sleep at my friend's dorm but we couldn't enter the campus above 10 pm and there wasn't air port bus to the central of city so we couldn't go anywhere.

SECOND DAY
We woke up at 5 am, we prayed subuh and then we immediately took a bus to the city and went back to my friend's dorm in Gombak. The ticket of airport bus was around 10RM - 12RM. First, our bus stop in KL Sentral. It was the first time i saw the heart of Kuala Lumpur. Just like Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur has a role as a country's center of economic growth. So you'll see some high rise buildings or shopping center. And then, we continued our trip to Gombak by LRT, the ticket runs around 4-5RM (and must be lower from $10, but i forget the detail price) After that, we continued to my friend's campus by bus called RapidKL, the price was only 1RM. And then finally we arrived to the room! Luckily it was the transition-of-exam-to-holiday season so the dorm (and the campus of course) was pretty quiet. My first impression when i arrived there was it was much cooler than Malang. The distance of Kuala Lumpur to Gombak was only around 18 KM, but I feel the temperature difference is quite significant. According to me (as industrial engineer student :p), Gombak is a valley area flanked by two hills and it was already justified by Hani who is a geography bachelor.
Well, we didn't do many things in that daytime. We took a rest and slept until Ashar time, and we got ready to back to the center of Kuala Lumpur to stroll around. We went to KLCC and enjoyed the view of Petronas Twin Tower that night. After that, we went back to the airport to pick my other friends up, Ines and Ria.

THIRD DAY
Just like the day before, my friends arrived at midnight. So we just hung out at McD and slept in the airport musholla until morning. Then we went back to Nana's dorm. After that, we prepared ourself to continue the trip to Melaka. I was so excited! Overall, our agendas in Melaka just like what I told you all in my last post before this post. The distance from Kuala Lumpur to Melaka was around 149km and the trip took time around 2 hours. We went there with Nana's local friends, Husni and Sayyed.
Entering Melaka, we were hungry. Husni and Sayyed recommended us to try the local cuisine, Asam Pedas (the explorers listed in my last post). Actually, I don't really like because the main dish is fish. So I ordered Briyani rice. The price of Asam Pedas and Briyani rice with chicken was around 110-11RM for each. OMG, I like Briyani rice much! And I was so happy at that time. Well, after eliminating the hunger, we continued the trip to the central of tourist attraction. We strolled around Melaka river, hung out in Red Square, enjoyed creative mural walls, also learned the history of Melaka and visited the history spots there.



Ater that, we went to Klebang desert. It was a Melaka hidden attraction because there weren't many people or tourists there (besides the cause we got there almost Maghrib :p). Because it was not built intentionally as a tourism attraction, you'll find it harder because you won't see the direction board that it was the place you look for. Well, it was one of advantage if you go with the locals. My judgment for the desert, it was incredible! Compared to a desert in Jogjakarta, its shape is more hilly and no more sloping. One of the great place to enjoy a beautiful sunset.



After enjoyed the sunset, we went back to Kuala Lumpur and visited Ice City to spend the rest of the day. Ice City is a theme park that's well-frequented for its nightly colorful display of LED-lit attractions. There wasn't entry ticket to enter the park, but if you want to enjoy the rides you must have to pay the tickets for each game I guess. In there, we eat KFC (KFC menu in Malaysia is slightly different with KFC menu in Indonesia). The menu was named Snacker Box! I love its potato wedges. It was around 8-9RM. While we were eating and chatting from a to z, we enjoyed the beautiful lights there.



FOURTH DAY
We enjoyed Kuala Lumpur again this day! Our first destination was Batu Caves. I guess it's one of the famous tourist attraction there. It's a limestone hill that has a series of caves and cave temples. There isn't an entry ticket here, because actually, it's a Hindu shrine where the Hindus worship. We enjoyed the cave by rising tens or even hundreds of stairs. We hadn't had a breakfast yet, but we had to be happy because we were on holiday. So we forgot the hunger!





After that, we went to Pasar Seni (Art Market) by MRT. Arrived in Art Market area, we directly went to a restaurant. I forgot what restaurant was, but I guess it was like a restaurant that offers a wide variety of the main dish. I ate Briyani rice of course, but unfortunately, the price was more expensive than Briyani rice I ate in Melaka. Hmm, probably reasonable because it was a tourist area.
Ok, after having a lunch, we went to the inside of Pasar Seni. OMG, I love the floors there! So many cute patterns of floors in the market. Well, Pasar Seni is cultural heritage site with restored art deco facade offering shopping, eateries & an outdoor stage. I didn't shop much there, I really enjoyed the architecture and the interior of the building. Look at that cute floor and blue wall!




After that, we went to Mydin and Haniffa (supermarket which offers some chocolate, foods, and drinks, or something suitable for souvenirs, just like Mustafa in Singapore). Then we strolled around Dataran Merdeka, Bukit Bintang, and went back to KLCC to enjoyed the Petronas Twin Tower and the mall. (Ines and Ria hadn't go here yet because they came later from me and Hani, right?)



FIFTH DAY
It was the saddest day of our holiday. Yes, it was time to go back to Jakarta:( Our flight was at 5 PM, so we strolled around Nana campus (the time was too short to explore the city). The university is International Islamic University Malaysia. If you browse the campus, I bet you'll suddenly remember the architecture of Hogwarts.



(Btw we haven't take a bath yet when we strolled around there lol.)
Well, the agenda of that morning was walked around while enjoying the campus situation. We enjoyed another Malaysia culinary at local canteen, Nasi Kerabu (Kerabu Rice). Based on Wikipedia, Nasi kerabu is a Malay rice dish, a type of nasi ulam, in which blue-colored rice is eaten with dried fish or fried chicken, crackers, pickles, and other salads. The blue color of the rice comes from the petals of Clitoria ternatea (butterfly-pea) flowers (kembang slang) used in cooking it. The taste was. I forget lol. But I guess it was okay, I love Malaysia dish very much. After that, we went back to the room and packed our stuffs, then went to airport. Well.. Bye Malaysia!

Voila! It was the short diary of my trip to Malaysia with my childhood friends. Most of all I told you all about how was the trip, not how were my friends.  Well, some people say that it's better to go travel with friends, and other people say that it's better to go alone. I love them both! Both of them has their own positive and negative sides. Yes, you'll be more complicated and can not be selfish to obey everything you want while you are away, but you'll find it easier in many ways and you'll understand how precious of the people around you.

Travel together isn't just about being happy and happy. You'll learn how people actually behave. From traveling with the crowd, even with your childhood friends who in fact you already know how they are, you will learn how you control yourself, understand people's desires, manage time and money together, deliberate, etc. Well, you learn from each other. Again, you will know who and how you are when you travel. So, travel as long as you can!

Btw, thanks to my childhood friends (Hani, Ines, Ria (and also Ina, one of us who didn't join us in our last trip) who I love much much and much) and special thanks to Nana as the host! Thanks for being always there from age below 5 until we reached 20, and I hope until we end?


Comments

Instagram Post